Robert Marshall, president of the Washington Suburban Realty Company, platted seven sections of Cheverly between 1918 and 1926. Taking advantage of the natural topography, Marshall designed Cheverly to take advantage of the curving, hilly landscape. Marshall named his new neighborhood after Cheverly Gardens, an adjoining 43-acre subdivision he acquired in 1918 near Landover Station.
Installment 3 of Cheverly History:
The Cheverly Gardens development is of more than ordinary interest in the history of Cheverly, for from it our Town received its name, a subject which will be covered at a later date. In the year 1904, at the time when the Pennsylvania Railroad was constructing its branch from the old roadbed at Landover Station in connection with the erection of the new Washington Union Station, a Franklin P. Mendenhall acquired a tract of land of 93i acres for development of a homesite garden subdivision. This tract of meadowland extending one-half mile westerly along the railroad from Landover Station to the easterly boundary of the Magruder farm was laid off into approximately 130 lots 100 by 200 feet in area each, with a proposed road skirting the railroad. This development, which is not within the present Cheverly town corporation area, was named “Cheverly Gardens”’. Upon the death of Mr. Mendenhall the property passed into possession of Robert Bopes and wife, who, on. June 24, 1916, together with several others, organized a corporation under the laws of the State of Maryland, to be known as the Washington Suburban Realty Company for the purpose of promoting the gardens development. Elizah E. Knott was elected president, with William E. Turner vice-president and Robert Bopes secretary and treasurer. No pretense was made as to special planning of the development or restrictions in use. Only five or six homes have ever been erected there and a part of the area has more recently been acquired by the railroad for erection pf a transformer station in connection with the electrification of the railroad. Mr. Marshall and his associates, before acquiring title to any of the lands for their model town development acquired ownership of the corporation and name of the Washington Suburban Realty Company. Apparently this was done for the, purpose of controlling the surroundings of the area yet to be acquired for their model community. Options on other lands bordering on the main tract to be acquired were also secured, to guard against undesirable encroachment. With these precautions completed the purchase of the main development area was consummated. On January 30, 1919, by deed in fee simple the purchase of the old Fielder Magruder plantation of 1931 acres, with its old colonial residence, from the George B. Sheriff heirs was closed. This tract-bordered on its southeasterly side 978 feet on the Pennsylvania Railroad, extended to the north approximately one mile, with its easterly boundary along an irregular line on the Susan Magruder tracts the Cheverly Gardens boundary and along the old Magruder Lane. The northerly boundary ran along the approximate line of Landover Road to a spring near the location of the Cheverly fountain, along the Whipple Tract and thence in a southerly direction along Spring Road, Valley Way and Lake Road to the Tuxedo boundary at the Cheverly Railroad Station. This tract, which comprised the greater part, of the town, is described in the deed by metes and bounds as part of the old colonial land plots of Hudson’s Range, Crawfords Adventure and Columbia. At the time of :the transfer of title the old Fielder Magruder house and farm were occupied by a Mr. T. M. Shuey, who has more lately been employed as caretaker of the old colonial Bostwick House in Bladensburg.